I would be happy to help your organization in the best of my ability. If you are interested in knowing more, please fill out this very short form and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
You can find out where I’m speaking and doing masterclass sessions next on my About page (displaying public events only).
Here are a few examples of what you can contract me for:
- NEW! Unconscious Biases & Inclusivity workshop/lecture: The human brain is plagued with cognitive and social biases that we mostly don’t realize exist. They unconsciously influence our decisions and influence us into making irrational (and detrimental) decisions. This lecture or workshop can be adapted to either be an introduction on unconscious biases and how they affect our life and workplace, or be more targeted to help organizations improve their diversity and inclusivity. Read a description of the workshop here.
- “Celia’s approach to training revealed how pervasive Unconscious Bias is around us and within ourselves. She offered unique insights into the realistic challenges and opportunities of what is required for change through her first-hand experiences working in tech/games. I walked away more educated and passionate about the work ahead!” -Liz, People Business Partner, Scopely
- Game UX Workshop (7 hours): The objective of this masterclass is to provide participants with tools to significantly improve the experience of the game they are developing, and to increase its likelihood of being successful and engaging. The workshop covers how the brain works (overview of perception, attention, memory, motivation, and emotion) and offers an introduction to game UX, including how to concretely apply it to your studio or your project and develop a UX strategy (this masterclass can be customized to your particular project). Read a description of the workshop here.
- “Celia Hodent truly opened our eyes on how gamers perceive information and what drives them to play. Her excellent examples and game references sparked many conversations around our studio, ranging from UI layouts to player onboarding to how we encourage player retention. We look forward to bringing her back!” -Brian Allgeier Director of Experience, Insomniac Games
- Game UX Lecture: at your company or a public event. It can be an introduction to Game UX and cognitive science, or target a more specific topic (usability, engage-ability, user research, human motivation, etc.).
- Consulting work: I can for example help you build your UX strategy, or build your own user research lab (if you are an indie studio, I’ll find ways to allow you to develop user research practices with a low budget). I can also conduct a UX evaluation of your project and give your recommendations to improve it, given the experience you want to offer, the audience you are targeting, your constraints, and your business goals.
Main areas of expertise
- Game User Experience
- Cognitive Psychology applied to video game development, education, or at the workplace
- “Gamification” (although I prefer to call this “playful learning”)
- Unconscious Biases and their impact in our life (e.g. “fake news”) or workplace (e.g. diversity, inclusion)
- Ethics in the Game Industry
Celia Hodent is recognized as a leader in the application of user experience (UX) and cognitive science in the game industry. Celia holds a PhD in psychology and has over ten years of experience in the development of UX strategy and processes in video game studios. Through her work at Ubisoft (Rainbow 6 franchise), LucasArts (Star Wars: 1313), and as Director of UX at Epic Games (Fortnite), she has contributed to many projects across multiple platforms, from PC to consoles, mobile, and VR. Celia is also the founder and chair of the Game UX Summit, advisor for the GDC UX Summit, and author of The Gamer’s Brain: How Neuroscience and UX can Impact Video Game Design. She currently works as an independent consultant, helping studios increase the likelihood of their games to be engaging and successful.